Saturday, October 24, 2009

I Am Not Lazy #2: Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Welcome to the second edition of "I can do more than microwave a frozen dinner." And about the eighth edition of "I cannot take a decent picture." Because I kind of feel like everyone but me is aware that an old, beat up cookie sheet from 1982 would not make a good backdrop in a picture of pumpkin pie oatmeal. However, I present in my defense of the general trashiness of this picture a) the disgusting florescent lighting in my apartment, b) a crappy camera, and c) the fact that the completed oatmeal was roughly the same color as my wood counter top, which also made for a pretty poor backdrop. My options were limited from the beginning, I swear! Oh, whatever. If you don't like it, go away.

Anyway, about a month ago I tried this recipe, and I am finally getting around to telling you about it. Unlike the baked oatmeal, the ingredients aren't necessarily something you'll have sitting around (or at least I didn't). I actually had this recipe for a couple of months before I tried it, but it took some time for me to rifle up the proper spices without paying $10 each for them. (Stupid Chicago price-gouging grocery stores--one would think they personally backpack their spices from India or wherever at their prices, rather than from...Florida.) It's not too difficult of a recipe, and it doesn't take too long, but it does take a couple of cooking utensils you might not have. First, the recipe calls for "lemon zest," which you generally create by using an instrument like this. However, being what I am (hilarious, but lacking in kitchen supplies), I don't have one, and instead opted for a serrated steak knife, which, let me tell you, was somewhat (read: immensely) less effective and probably rather dangerous. But if I am not going to encounter some good old adrenaline-pumping danger making oatmeal, where will I? Anyway, it took me 20 minutes to get enough zest using this method, so maybe you should invest in a lemon zester if you feel like making this. Secondly, you also need ramekins, which I kind of feel are one of those things people request on their wedding registries and never really use (along with pasta making machines and fondue pots). Anyway, they're pretty nifty little things, but I don't have any, so I used some Pyrex glass containers, and they were fine (jalapeno not included).

Despite those delays and hiccups, the preparation process went fairly smoothly. And the end result was decent, though different from what I was expecting. I think it was definitely more "pumpkin" than "oatmeal," which obviously displeased me. And the consistency was kind of odd--almost like pumpkin pie instead of oatmeal. I think if I make it again, I would add more oats, which would hopefully thicken it up a bit. It was also VERY sweet. Perhaps that could have been helped by including the flax seed, which I did not. I feel I also should note that I used almonds instead of pecans, and I think pecans would have been better. But the MAJOR issue with this recipe is that it simply doesn't make very much. It said it makes four servings, but my Pyrex container in the picture is only a cup, and it's only half full. I would hardly call 4 ounces a full serving, so I suppose you could double the recipe or just end up with two good servings. But just doing the recipe as-is probably won't fill you up. One major positive, however, was that I had leftover pumpkin puree, which my roommate then used to make pumpkin pancakes. Contractual obligations prevent me from linking to a recipe (OATMEAL ONLY!!), but you can google a recipe pretty easily, and I would strongly recommend them.

Sorry for kind of half-assing this post, but I am currently in Indianapolis visiting my "editor," where I have tried a new oatmeal and also made an oatmeal-based recipe, so lots of exciting posts on the horizon. In the meantime, enjoy this website, which has quickly become one of my favorites. (Make sure you read the captions.)

No comments:

Post a Comment